Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Blog: My little taste of Seoul, South Korea

On the way back to America from my study abroad in Japan, I specifically picked a flight with a 14 hour layover in Seoul, Korea starting at 10pm.  I fell asleep on the train back to the airport and missed the sun rising though!  I'm not one to regret things, but I regret not seeing the tiny bit of daytime in Korea that I had the chance to see.  It's definitely true that the biggest word people use in saying what they regret is "not"!

Very first impression, it was kind of muggy and smoggy.  Maybe it's always like that, or maybe just that night?  You can kind of see it in the pictures.


So we went to Myeongdong, and I started with some fast shopping, as everything was closing within the hour.  Something really cool I noticed was how in every shop we went in, the shop workers would greet everyone who came in in their own languages!  I heard greetings in English to us, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese!  And of course I was super excited to see Etude House, even though I had gone to one in Japan.  These ones were so cute! And I counted like 6 all within short walking distance of each other.  I also got to see other Korean makeup brand stores





I just noticed this, but in the upper right corner is my favorite Degas painting!





After all of the shops closed, we wandered, and went to eat Korean BBQ and it was sooooo amazing!




Finally we went to karaoke, because we didn't really know what else to do or where to go that late.  It was definitely different than karaoke in Japan.  They didn't have as many songs, and I had trouble navigating the machine thingy, but then again, I don't know any Korean.  I think they had less songs too.



This definitely isn't really a good clear picture of Seoul, but it was my first little taste!  Not too bad for the last hour of shops being open, and a bit of the night life.  I really wish I would have taken more pictures!  I can't wait to go back in the future and see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment